We're excited to be working with our friends at Icon on one of the latest releases from their schedule of incredible titles; Beasts of the Southern Wild (or, BEASTS as the Icon team have lovingly nicknamed it). Read on to find out how you can win a double pass to see BEASTS with Incu.
BEASTS tells the story of a six-year-old girl named Hushpuppy who exists on the brink of orphan hood and sees the world around her from a unique and incredibly systematic point of view. Savoring the way mother nature works to maintain a perfect balance where everything fits just right, Hushpuppy's world is thrown into disarray when a storm threatens to destroy her home town and her father is suddenly stricken with illness.
Follow Hushpuppy's journey as she desperately tries to repair the structure of her world, save her ailing father and spare her sinking home. We're sure you will fall in love with Quvenzhané Wallis who plays Hushpuppy and the powerful narrative woven to perfection by director Benh Zeiltin.
Need more reasons to see BEASTS? Here are 10 fantastic ones we compiled.
1. During the audition process, Quvenzhané Wallis (who was only five years old at the time), impressed the filmmakers with not just her reading ability, but her tremendous scream and her ability to burp on command (the latter two appear in the film!)
2. This is Quvenzhané’s acting debut, and she beat 4,000 other little hopeful girls for the lead role of Hushpuppy.
3. Dwight Henry (who plays Quvenzhané’s father), also made his acting debut in BEASTS. He owned a local bakery where the filmmakers used to go for doughnuts and buttermilk drops, and over time, they knew he’d be perfect for the role
4. Off the back of the incredible success of BEASTS in the US, Dwight is now expanding his Buttermilk Drop Bakery & Cafe with a second store in New Orleans, and one in New York.
5. The BEASTS cast & crew listened to Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez songs in between takes, at the request of little Miss Quvenzhané!
6. Both Dwight and Quvenzhané left the US for the first time ever to attend the BEASTS screening at the Cannes Film Festival this year (where it wowed the audience and received a rousing standing ovation)
7. Their second plane trip was with director Benh Zeitlin to Chicago in the US, to be interviewed by none other than Oprah
8. Both Quvenzhané Wallis and Dwight Henry have been cast in director Steve McQueen’s 12 YEARS A SLAVE. The film also stars Hollywood heavyweights Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender and Paul Giamatti
9. 29-year-old director, co-writer and composer Benh Zeiltin’s parents are folklorists
10. Oh, and BEASTS is his first feature film!
WIN: Incu has your double pass to BEASTS, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about a film you love and why. Please include your full name and postal address. Winners will be contacted by email. Competition closes September 1st 2012.